Discover first hand that “Nature Rocks!” on our incredible Eco Adventure/Rock Challenge Tour. Experience the challenges of amazing rock features including rock halls, squeezes, tunnels, narrows, ascents, descents, and scrambles without harnessed climbing or rappelling. Our High Rock Challenge is like nothing else in the Hocking Hills!
Please be aware you will likely get your clothes dirty on this tour! You will also be challenged many times to do something unique and totally fun. You’ll be immersed in the beautiful fern-covered mature forest, surrounded by amazing rock formations, while learning a bit about the nature around you as you travel through, between, below and on top of unique rock formations.
Guests from 6 to 70+ have enjoyed elements of this tour. Some squeezes are restricted due to body size, some ascents are restricted due to upper body strength. Challenges are available to most though and you can opt out of particular challenges on the tour if you’re not comfortable and your guide will make recommendations as well.
ROCK CHALLENGE TOUR - LEARN MORE
- CHALLENGES: Utilize stationary ropes and webbing for on-ground climbs between mammoth rock outcroppings.
-Squeeze through even more tight rock narrows. There will be at least two crawls through small tunnels in and between giant sandstone boulders and rocks.
-Enjoy a brief overview of some of the plants and trees as you are walking the trails.
-Cross our Sky Bridges between towering cliffs.
-Challenge yourself and ascend to the top of High Rock for a panoramic view of the Hocking River Valley.
- ALL EQUIPMENT PROVIDED: A helmet is provided for this tour.
- INSTRUCTION: No experience necessary, there will be a safety briefing and two guides will lead you through each challenge, offering tips throughout to make your adventure the best it can be! [Age, weight, and mobility restrictions apply, see tour qualifications below.]
HOW LONG IS THE TOUR?
- Allow approximately 2.5 hours, groups of 4 or more may take longer, couples and smaller groups may finish sooner.
- ADULTS: $70 per adult w/2-4 guests; $64 per adult w/5-7 guests, $57 per adult for 8-12 guests*
- YOUTH: (ages 6-15) $55 per guest.
- NOTE: The High Rock Challenge requires 24-hour advance booking online and a minimum of 2 guests and a maximum of 12.*
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
- CLOSED-TOE SHOES are required on all tours. Shoes with a good tread are recommended.
- CLOTHING: Wear clothes that allow a full range of motion. Long pants help avoid scrapes to the legs from the rock, but wear what is comfortable. NOTE: Clothes can get dirty, snagged or ripped on the natural sandstone rock.
- WATER: Bring water to drink throughout the tour, preferably in a reusable water bottle. High Rock will provide a light snack at the end of tour.
- MISC: Bring a hair tie for longer hair, bug repellent, rain gear, and layered clothing depending on the season.
* This tour requires an advance reservation and can be booked online if made 24 hours in advance. Call, email, or message if within 24 hours. It often is possible for us to add you to a tour even with just an hour or two notice, based on availability. For groups of 5 or more tours may be scheduled for any day, at any time during daylight hours (based on availability), simply email, call, or message us on Facebook with your customized request. We can also combine tours upon request or add a rappel to your High Rock Challenge.
HIGH ROCK TOUR QUALIFICATIONS
To participate in tours at High Rock Adventures and Hocking Hills Ecotours:
- Each guest must sign a Liability Release Form.
- Participant should be at least 6 years of age. Any guest under 18 must be accompanied by an adult and have waiver signed by a parent or guardian. If the parent is not present, a photocopy of the parent’s drivers license must accompany the signed waiver.
- Must be in reasonably good health and be physically able to walk up steep inclines and hills. Distance covered will be at least 1.5 miles over alternating terrain with rocks, roots and leaves.
- Weight limit for climbing and rappels is 275lbs.
- Pregnant women will not be allowed to climb or rappel, but may participate in an Ecotour if cleared by their physician.
- Anyone under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs or impairing legal medications will not be allowed to participate in any tour.
- Comfortable clothing that allows you to fully maneuver your body is highly recommended.
- Closed-toed shoes with good traction, ie, hiking shoes, athletic shoes or closed toed sandals for rappelling and nature tours. Climbing shoes will be provided for climbing. Participants may use their own climbing shoes if approved by the High Rock Guide.
- High Rock Adventures reserves the right to exclude anyone from participation for medical, safety or other reasons.