Watch this page for Special Events and Workshops being scheduled for High Rock Adventures and Hocking Hills Ecotours!
Most tours will take place at either High Rock Adventures or our sister property, Cool Rock Valley. Date, time and location will be listed for each event/workshop with the details of the event below.
Spring Edible and Medicinal Workshop - TBA
SPRING EDIBLE AND MEDICINAL PLANT WORKSHOP
WATCH FOR NEW DATES TO BE SCHEDULED
Explore part of High Rock few get to see, the workshop will include many of our amazing Rock Features plus some on trail and off trail work with plants and trees as noted below:
We will explore the High Rock property seeing, smelling, and tasting several edible plants and trees. We will also talk about a some of the plants and trees that are used for herbal medicine and how to make them. Additionally many of the plants and trees have other uses for natural dyes, household uses, etc. This is one of the rare educational tours that we will be going off-trail to see some of plants that our tour guests do not get to see. In this class we will also be making a healthy and immune boosting woodland tea and discussing which Ohio woodland plants and trees can be used to make natural teas.
Bring a sack lunch, notebook, something to write with, a small pack to put it in and water for this on site field education class/tour at Hocking Hills Ecotours. Also dress in comfortable clothes for the weather and wear hiking shoes, boots, or some type of athletic shoes with tread, we will be on hills most of the day.
The cost of the tour includes your guide and instructor, Steve Roley, M.Ed with 20 plus year Natural Resources Ecotourism Teacher and International Ecotourism Consultant. Also included will be handouts with notes on most of the plants and trees we will see and learn about, along with a light snack. (bring a lunch as we will be out in the forest for 5+ hours.) This tour will include visits to several of our awesome Rock Features at High Rock/Hocking Hills Ecotours along with a chance to experience a couple of our Rock Challenges for those who wish to add some adventure to this workshop.
This has been our most requested workshop and the price is quite low for all that is included. It will likely be a bit higher the next time we offer this experience so reserve your space early. If you have to reschedule and let us know at least 14 days prior or if we have to go with the rain date, you can move your workshop fee to any of daily offered tours and adventures.
Should the forecast call for extreme rain or thunderstorms, we will contact you at least 48 hours in advance and the rain date will be the following day, same time on June 18th. If you are unable to come on the rain date we can substitute your class price for a rock climbing tour, a rappelling tour or you can use use it for any of our Eco-Nature or Adventure Tours. If the tour cost is less than the price of this class you will receive the credit towards additional tours.
This workshop is designed for adults or young adults. Our normal tour age is 6, for this workshop we highly suggest that students be at least 12 years old or older due to the content and the length of the class/tour. Call or email us if you have any questions about this policy. Thank You!
This tour/class is limited to 12 students/guests. Cost for this class/tour: $89.00 per student
HIGH ROCK TOUR QUALIFICATIONS
To participate in tours at High Rock Adventures and Hocking Hills Ecotours:
- Each guest must sign a Liability Release Form.
- Participant should be at least 6 years of age. Any guest under 18 must be accompanied by an adult and have waiver signed by a parent or guardian. If the parent is not present, a photocopy of the parent’s drivers license must accompany the signed waiver.
- Must be in reasonably good health and be physically able to walk up steep inclines and hills. Distance covered will be at least 1.5 miles over alternating terrain with rocks, roots and leaves.
- Weight limit for climbing and rappels is 275lbs.
- Pregnant women will not be allowed to climb or rappel, but may participate in an Ecotour if cleared by their physician.
- Anyone under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs or impairing legal medications will not be allowed to participate in any tour.
- Comfortable clothing that allows you to fully maneuver your body is highly recommended.
- Closed-toed shoes with good traction, ie, hiking shoes, athletic shoes or closed toed sandals for rappelling and nature tours. Climbing shoes will be provided for climbing. Participants may use their own climbing shoes if approved by the High Rock Guide.
- High Rock Adventures reserves the right to exclude anyone from participation for medical, safety or other reasons.